[AccessD] Source Code Control

Josh McFarlane darsant at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 17:30:10 CST 2006

On 1/18/06, Shamil Salakhetdinov <shamil at users.mns.ru> wrote:
> Josh,
>
> Is there somewhere a short step-by-step tutorial/instruction how to install
> Subversion with Visual Studio?

Basically, the way we use it is with a freeware program called
TortoiseSVN. It integrates into Windows Explorer for the folders that
you check out and provides an easy right click interface for
everything you need to do (Explains when files are changed with icons,
etc)

Microsoft basically doesn't integrate with anything but SourceSafe.
There's a few "plugins" out there to kinda-sorta interface with other
SCS like CVS, but I haven't looked up anything about Subversion

> I have heard a lot of good references about it but I didn't use it yet.
>
> Is it possible to encrypt transparently for client development tools source
> files stored in Subversion database? Reason is to use commercial software
> sources stored on a public Web server running Subversion.

I've used two different types of subversion servers:

The first and easiest is linking it in with Apache. They have
instructions on how to do that on the website, and user security goes
through a custom passwd file so you can restrict access.

The second is through a program they have called svnserve, basically
works as a server program and runs on it's own. You can set up user
access per repository.

As far as actual encryption of the data passed, I haven't looked into
it much. I'll see what I can find out and let you know.

--
Josh McFarlane

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
-Albert Einstein