[AccessD] Source Code Control

Josh McFarlane darsant at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 22:22:58 CST 2006

On 1/17/06, Josh McFarlane <darsant at gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't used SourceSafe in Access personally, only C++ projects. I
> find it interesting that they've worked out code to diff Access DBs,
> but cannot make it compatible with Word for diffing.
>
> Granted, everything can be corrupt, but source-safe has a very very
> bad track record with corruption, even on simple things. I can't find
> the link now, but once I hit my work computer I'll post it.
>
> When it's all said and done, I still prefer a stability and safety
> over easy integration with Office / Visual Studio.

OK, looked a little more into this, and supposedly if you run their
analyze.exe tool at least weekly, it will drastically reduce the
"fail" corruption rate (as it fixes the small corruptions before they
propigate).

Some other interesting things that I hadn't heard before:

Large binary files often had to have their version history cleared with 3.1

File locks were frequently left behind and had to be manually removed.

Then there's the dreaded \data\a\aaaaaaaa.a error message that
everyone seems to end up dealing with (For some reason, I swear there
was a KB article dealing with all the possible ways this could pop up,
but I can't find it)

Also, if you delete a file, and then later recreate a file with the
same name, the previous file history is gone forever (You can't check
out previous complete builds anymore)

I mean, honestly, it works for a little side project, but for anything
a business is depending on, I don't trust my weight on it when there's
free open-source products out there that do much much better in terms
of both reliability and interface.

--
Josh McFarlane

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
-Albert Einstein