[AccessD] My form has a little problem

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Sat Jan 21 11:10:49 CST 2006

First of all, thanks to everyone who responded.  Of course it is
dangerous to use Name - duh!  I just overlooked that - thanks for
pointing it out, I have fixed it.  And, yes, I do feel pretty stupid for
that one.

Second, why did I use a query instead of just querying the table for the
combo box - it has been my habit to write query of the underlying table
or tables and use that specific query for such controls.  Sometimes that
feels like extra work, and I am willing to reconsider my habit - but the
query gives me just the fields I want for the combo box, and is easy for
me to understand six months from now when I am trying to figure out how
I did something and why.

Drew, perhaps you can teach me something good, here.  The combo box is
an unbound control,  I can set the Row Source property to:

 SELECT tblStudent!StuLname & ", " & tblStudent!StuFname AS FullName
FROM tblStudent ORDER BY tblStudent.StuLname;

But, I get nothing in the combo box when I do that.

Using the query, my Row Source property is:

SELECT qselStudentName.StuID, qselStudentName.FullName
FROM qselStudentName ORDER BY qselStudentName.StuLname;

My combo box is correctly populated.

So, what is it I need to learn to do in order to directly query the
underlying table and populate my combobox?  Thanks for taking the time
to teach me.

Tina