[AccessD] New excel workbooks

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sat Jan 21 18:00:34 CST 2006

On 21 Jan 2006 at 14:01, John Colby wrote:

> Actually, after testing I have determined that workbooks are stored using
> the file name minus the path.  Thus X:\test.XLS would create a workbook that
> you could access using app.workbooks("test.xls").  This is a little
> inconvenient since it means that if I need to access a workbook in the
> collection by name, I need to have code that strips out the filename, so I
> can feed that in.  Nothing beyond my ability or anything, just extra work to
> handle it.

To save you a bit of time, here are my standard filename functions:

Function Directory(Fullpath As String) As String
Directory = Left$(Fullpath, InStrRev(Fullpath, "\"))
End Function
Function FileName(Fullpath As String) As String
    FileName = Right$(Fullpath, Len(Fullpath) - InStrRev(Fullpath, "\"))
End Function
Function FileRoot(FileNm As String) As String
If InStr(FileName(FileNm), ".") > 0 Then
    FileRoot = Left$(FileNm, InStrRev(FileNm, ".") - 1)
Else
  FileRoot = FileName(FileNm)
End If
End Function
Function FileExt(FileNm As String) As String
If InStr(FileName(FileNm), ".") > 0 Then
    FileExt = Right$(FileNm, Len(FileNm) - InStrRev(FileNm, "."))
Else
    FileExt = ""
End If
End Function--