[AccessD] Virtual library management database

Jürgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 23 11:50:19 CST 2006

Ervin:

This is a subject on which opinions will vary along lines of what people
perceive the priorities are.  A flatter file will generally provide better
performance and a more normalized one will ordinarilly be be both slower and
more complex to query yet provide greater flexibility.

Generally, it is easier to query if you include general items such as Title
and Author in a single table that encompasses all categories and types of
media.  Where a object may not have an attribute  not universal to other
objects, it makes sense to use an unequal join to such tables to return
those attributes.  A user search could then return all medai types and all
relevant attributes on a generic search on a word in the title.  You can
normalize this as much as necessary by joining tables containing attributes
of specific media categories.

For example, if you store information about an article in a magazine, your
base table containing an periodical article name and author could easily be
queried and be joined to a magazine article table that stores the containing
Magazine information and page references.  This would allow the user to be
able to include all types of media in a single search.

If you break your tables along media type lines, it would be necessary to
union your search results across all the tables to provide an encompassing
search.  Union queries cannot (in versions of Access I am familiar with)
include memo fields that may be necessary to contain descriptive informaion.

Using a report as output simplifes things in that you can use a sub report
for each category, each with its own SQL source.  However, my preference is
to always provide a list output where a user can click on an item and have
it open the appropriate form that contains all relevant information with
appropriate joins, perhaps with the foreign keyed data in subforms.
Although the Union restriction on memo types will not apply in the case of
search results in a list box, I find it easier to return results from a
single table and show the media type and allow futher filtering on type of
media in the list result.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta