[AccessD] bust out the math books

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue Jan 24 19:13:26 CST 2006

On 24 Jan 2006 at 16:50, Francisco Tapia wrote:

> can someone answer me this:
>   C1 C2
> C3  1566 1770
> 0.884746  5130 5340
> 0.960674  1320 1800
> 0.733333  6440 7280
> 0.884615  1770 1800
> 0.983333
>

>  16226 17990
> 0.901946
> If I take C1 / C2 I get C3... there must be a mathimaticall reason as to why
> I can't just average column C3 to get the 90%, instead I end up with 88.93%

The larger a number, the more weight it needs to carry in the "averaging"
A clearer example to show why you can't just average averages to get an
overall average.

Individual Averages:
1/1000 = .001
99999/1000 = 99.999

Overall average (weighted):
100000/1000 = 100

Average(?) average:
(.001 + 99.999)/2 = 50

The second "average" gives equal weight to the 1 occurence in the first
calculation and the 999 occurences in the second calculation.

--
Stuart