[AccessD] OT - Acessing File DSN Coonection String Using VB6

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Wed Jan 25 04:59:07 CST 2006

On 25 Jan 2006 at 9:14, Paul Hartland (ISHARP) wrote:

> To all,
>
> Don't know if this is possible I have a File DSN on my machine and what I
> want to do is access it using VB6 and get various properties of it like the
> connection string etc.  Has anyone done this before or can point me in the
> right direction on how to go about this if it is possible.

A file DSN is a plain text file structured in the classic Windows INI file
format.

Take a look at the recent thread "Read External File for Path String",
specifically my posting where I gave the code for reading and writing
values from an INI file.

The Section is always "ODBC".  Open any DSN in a text editor to see what
Keys you need to query.

--
Stuart