[AccessD] OT - Acessing File DSN Coonection String Using VB6

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Wed Jan 25 19:09:50 CST 2006

On 25 Jan 2006 at 16:15, MartyConnelly wrote:

> Well the microsoft guys seem to write it as binary Unicode complete with a
> UTF-16 little-endian BOM marker. It might look different opening it with the
> old Win95 notepad which can't handle saving in unicode.

It's still a text file, it's just that  it's UTF-16 not  ASCII encoded.

To quote Joel Spolsky in his article "The Absolute Minimum Every Software
Developer Absolutely, Positively Must Know About Unicode and Character Sets
(No Excuses!)" http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html :

<quote>
It does not make sense to have a string without knowing what encoding it
uses. You can no longer stick your head in the sand and pretend that
"plain" text is ASCII.
</quote>

As long as you use a Unicode capable text editor, such as the freeware
Crimson Editor which I use, you can create/edit a UDL in it.

The INI file routines that I posted a few days ago also work to read/write
to the file - as long as you create the UDL first as a Unicode encoded text
file with the correct second line comment.)

--
Stuart