[AccessD] Eval Function... (or a better way)

Tue Jan 31 13:35:19 CST 2006

I agree. And that's why I emphasized *consistently*. I use the Tag property
myself for this reason, but I just posted this to show Jeff another way to
solve his problem.

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Josh McFarlane
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 2:18 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Eval Function... (or a better way)

On 1/31/06, Heenan, Lambert <Lambert.Heenan at aig.com> wrote:
> No need for Eval.
>
> If you control are *consistently* named you can try...
>
> Function TurnMeOn(bWhichWay as boolean)
>    Dim n as integer
>    Dim s as string
>
>    n = 1
>    With Me
>    Do While n < 21
>      .Controls("Check" & n) = bWhichWay
>       n = n + 1
>    loop
>    End With
> End Function
>
> Which eliminates he need to use the Tag property.

I don't know, I may just be prejudiced against string manupulating control
names. Tags allow me to seperate things into nice organizational chunks, and
I can add a new control without needing to touch the underlying code. OTOH,
if I change the name of a control while using strings, it won't give me a
problem until I execute the code, which can be nasty sometimes if you miss
testing it.

--
Josh McFarlane

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
-Albert Einstein