[AccessD] Demise of VBA

Kenneth Ismert kismert at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 11 12:43:17 CDT 2006

VBA is a dead language -- I've been saying that for a while now. When
Microsoft stops updating a product, it's only a matter of time before
it sunsets it.

There are two driving reasons for this shift, as I see it:

* VB6 and VBA have deep security issues. Microsoft is unwilling or
unable to address this.

* The VBA environment was included in Office, and Microsoft wants to
realize extra revenue from the sale of VSTO.

What does this mean for us?

* Vastly more expensive entry into development. Very likely, VSTO will
require a full version of Visual Studio -- no Express edition here.

* Vastly higher learning curve. You thought the current system was
tough? Try wrapping your head around a new language (don't believe the
bullshit that VB.NET is any easier to move to than C#), new IDE,
enormous new libraries (ADO.NET, BCL), and completely new
methodologies. Not to mention the radically new Access 2007 interface.

My point is, if you have to re-learn everything, why limit yourself to
just Visual Studio? There is a universe of languages and development
evironments, all free, for you to explore. And, not crippled intro
product -- full-featured and free.

You really owe it to yourself to explore the alternatives.

-Ken