[AccessD] : Re: Demise of VBA

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Thu Jul 13 16:54:20 CDT 2006

On 13 Jul 2006 at 16:38, Susan Harkins wrote:

> I found the switch from Excel Basic to VBA difficult. Now, Access Basic and
> VBA were like peas in a pod, but Excel? I never have gotten the hang of
> using VBA in Excel and I've pretty much stopped trying.

ISTM that Visual Basic for Applications in Word and Excel are overkill.

There is a fundamental difference between Access and Word/Excel.

Word is a tool  for creating documents and  Excel is a tool for creating
spreadsheets.  A document or a spreadsheet are useful objects in their own
right and Word and Excel are *end user* tools for creating them.

A database has no value without an application to utilise it's contents.
Despite what MS would like everyone to think, Access is  a *developer* tool
not an end user tool.   Because it comes with its own database engine
(Jet), it can also be used as a database manager and that's as far as a lot
of users ever get with it but it is primarily an application development
tool.

--
Stuart