[AccessD] SOT:Home Link to Work Network

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Jul 21 05:28:48 CDT 2006

Hi Max

You can install a remote control program like VNC (free) or NetOp (buy) on the workstation in question, or use a service like this:

  http://www.logmein.com

which runs surprisingly well from a browser like Internet Explorer.

/gustav

>>> max at sherman.org.uk 21-07-2006 09:06:47 >>>
Hi All, slightly off topic but related to Access.
Given the knowledge you lot obviously have, I wonder if somebody could help
me a problem I have had for some time.
I have an Access MDB (FE and BE) running on a peer to peer network at work.
The peer lan IP addresses are all in the range 192.x.x.x
Sometimes when I am working from home, I get a call to say that user xyz has
got problem with their database.

>From home I can connect to the gateway pc using RealVNC on my home pc and
work pc.  The gateway has two lan cards.  One connected to the Internet and
one used for the lan.

However, what this does is allow me to take control of the gateway pc as if
I was sitting in front of it.  I can, via windows explorer wander over the
lan to the other pc on the network but only within the windows explorer
limitations.  What I cannot do is run an application from their pc.  I can
run an app from the gateway pc but that doesn't help me with the user that
is having a problem with their Access MDB.
Is there any way I can get control of the user's pc as if I was sitting in
front of it?

If you can help, it would be appreciated.

Regards
Max