[AccessD] Show description of non active item in listbox/combobox

Lavsa, Rich Rich_Lavsa at pghcorning.com
Wed Jun 21 09:18:25 CDT 2006

 Hello all,

I have an application where I created for example a table that holds
names and some details of instructors.  I also have an Active field Y or
N.  The combobox will only display instructors who are marked with Y.
Yet this will allow you to maintain all your reporting for historical
data.

The issue that comes into play when in the entry form, for a particular
employee that took training, in looking at the detail records of their
training, if they happened to take a class/session that was taught by an
instructor that isn't active any longer there isn't any Name displayed
in the form because the combobox will not retrieve this information.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

I in the past I have put 2 combobox's side by side and shrunk the one
down so that only the button is displayed which is then placed directly
over the full size combobox button.  The shrunken button has the
criteria in it to only retrieve the Y's, however the full size combo can
retrieve everything, so on the screen everything looks ok and seems to
function ok.  This approach doubles the combobox's, and doubles the
maintenance if anything changes in the lookup tables.

Hoping someone has a better way to handle this situation.

Thanks in advance for any tips/tricks/ideas...

Rich