[AccessD] Printing a word document from Access

rusty.hammond at cpiqpc.com rusty.hammond at cpiqpc.com
Tue Jun 27 14:38:20 CDT 2006

Using Access 97 and Word 2000, I simply want to open a word or rich text
format (.rtf) file and print it.  If someone already has the file open, Word
pops up a dialog saying the file is locked for editing and I have to choose
to open it Read-Only, Notify me when it is closed or Cancel the request.  If
I click on the Read Only button the file is opened and printed and I'm on my
merry way, BUT I need the printing to be automated.  Is there a way to
suppress this prompt?  I'm already telling word to open the document read
only but it doesn't help - any ideas?

Sample code follows:

Function PrintWordDoc()

    Dim AppObject As Object
    Dim NewDoc As Object

    Set AppObject = CreateObject("Word.Application")
    AppObject.DisplayAlerts = False
    '**** In the following line, if the file is already open we get an error
****
    Set NewDoc = AppObject.Documents.Open("c:\logs\rptNewCash.rtf", False,
True)
    NewDoc.PrintOut False
    NewDoc.Close
    AppObject.Quit
    Set AppObject = Nothing

End Function

Rusty Hammond
IT Dept. - B-20
CPI Qualified Plan Consultants, Inc.
(620) 793-8473 ext. 416
rusty.hammond at cpiqpc.com

WARNING: All e-mail sent to and from this address will be received,
scanned or otherwise recorded by the CPI Qualified Plan Consultants, Inc.
corporate e-mail system and is subject to archival, monitoring or review
by, and/or disclosure to, someone other than the recipient.