[AccessD] ADO Save recordset format adPersistADTG

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Jun 15 05:01:38 CDT 2006

Hi Stuart

Nice research!
That must be the full story. Between the lines it also explains one of the purposes I've seen some example code for: To read a datafile off a web server.

/gustav

On 14 Jun 2006 at 20:12, Gustav Brock wrote:

> Hi all
>
> With ADO you can save a recordset to a file, normally an XML file, but
> another format, Microsoft Advanced Data TableGram, exists:
>
>   rst.Save "d:\temp\records.dat", adPersistADTG
>
> Where or why could this binary format be used?
> It creates file sizes about 1/3 of the XML file created if adPersistXML had
> been used. Is it just a proprietary format for storing and retrieval of data
> to/from a single external file?

It's a MS  proprietary format. Ths is the Abstract from United States
Patent 5974416:

A method and tabular data stream format is provided for the transmission of
tabular data between a client process running on a client computer and a
server process running on a server computer via a network such as the
Internet. The tabular data stream format, called the Advanced Data
TableGram (ADTG) format, is ideally suited for marshaling tabular data in
both directions between a Web browser and a Web server. A Web browser query
is processed by the Web server retrieving tabular data from a database and
converting the data into a Rowset. The Rowset, in turn, is formatted into
an ADTG message. The ADTG message includes a Header section, a
HandlerOptions section, a Row section, and an End section. The Header
section includes data representing global parameters for a tabular data
stream. The Handler Options section contains data representing parameters
for controlling the processing of the tabular data stream by a process
receiving the tabular data stream. The Descriptors section includes data
representing properties of the tabular data stream. The Row section
includes data representing the properties of rows and values of the columns
of the tabular data stream. The End section contains data that denotes the
end of parts of an ADTG message, called resultsets, or the end of the
entire ADTG message.--

Stuart