[AccessD] email from outlook

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Jun 18 20:49:23 CDT 2006

Stuart,

I use a framework.  The framework (for example) has an error log which logs
program errors, both framework and application.  I need a way to email these
error logs out to the dba, either on a critical (application) error or
"every day" etc.  Of course I can set up the framework for the environment
that I am currently working in, however I am trying to make this
"automatic", so that anyone trying to use the framework (other developers)
can just drop it in and go.  I do not want the developer to have to
"configure" the framework in order to get email sent out.  They should just
be able to call a send method of the framework and know that the mail will
be delivered.

On a similar note (but not email) I have for a long time wanted to be able
to have my programs automatically "call home" over the internet, similar to
Norton AV which looks for AV updates automatically.  This would be handy for
notifying the user that there was a newer version of the program (or
framework), uploading or downloading data etc.  I know absolutely nothing
about how to do that unfortunately, but if anyone out there does, I would
love to see a discussion started.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting