[AccessD] email from outlook

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Jun 18 22:00:47 CDT 2006

Stuart,

>Do you want it to send through an email client?

Not if I need to know the details of the email client.  The code must just
"send the email", not care whether it is going out via outlook, outlook
express or some other thing.

>Do you  want it sent  direct to an SMTP Server?

No idea.  What is an SMTP server and why do I care?  Again, the code must
just send the email, regardless of what computer it is installed on,
regardless of what network it is on, regardless of... Anything else you can
think of.

>What is your actual requirement?

A piece of code, written in Access VBA, that will AUTOMATICALLY AND WITHOUT
USER INTERVENTION send an email message, complete with an attachment,
regardless of where the Access Application is installed, regardless of what
email client the application or computer user normally uses, and regardless
of the version of Windows.

>If you want to send using the email client, then a simple call to
DocmdSendObject will do it.

I just tried this:

docmd.SendObject ,,,"jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com",,,"test sending an
email","This is a drill, this is a drill"

And all it did was open an outlook email, place the parameters in various
places, and wait.  Not exactly "automatic".  Likewise, as far as I can tell
no way to add an attachment unless the attachment is an Access object.
There are many instances where the attachment needs to be a text log file
from the disk, an Excel or Word or PDF document etc.

I need: A piece of code, written in Access VBA, that will send an email
message, complete with an attachment, regardless of where the Access
Application is installed, regardless of what email client the application or
computer user normally uses.  It must NOT require installation of a DLL,
knowledge of a specific email client, calls to methods of a specific email
client, reference to a library (unless that library is ALWAYS available on
EVERY Windows computer).

I don't ask for much, just email.  ;-)

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting