[AccessD] Mailing Labels

A.D.TEJPAL adtp at airtelbroadband.in
Wed Jun 21 14:03:08 CDT 2006

Martin,

    Sample query given below should get you the desired label strings for each distinct four digit identifier prefix. It makes use of function Fn_GetLabel() given below.

    DataString is the name of field holding comma separated raw data in table T_Data.

Best wishes,
A.D.Tejpal
---------------

Select Query
=====================================
SELECT Left([DataString],4) AS PreFix, Fn_GetLabel(Left([DataString],4)) AS LabelString  FROM T_Data
GROUP BY Left([DataString],4);
=====================================

User Defined Function
=====================================
Function Fn_GetLabel(ByVal IdString As String) As String
    On Error Resume Next
    Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
    Dim Txt As String, Qst As String, Rtv As Variant

    Txt = ""        ' Default
    Qst = "SELECT * FROM T_Data " & _
                "Where Left(DataString, 4) = '" & _
                IdString & "';"
    Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(Qst)

    Do While Not rst.EOF
        Rtv = Split(rst.Fields("DataString"), ",")
        Txt = Txt & IIf(Len(Txt) > 0, ",", "") & Rtv(1)
        rst.MoveNext
    Loop

    Txt = IdString & "," & Txt & "," & Rtv(2)
    Fn_GetLabel = Txt

    rst.Close
    Set rst = Nothing
    On Error GoTo 0