[AccessD] Difficult calculations

Gina Hoopes hoopesg at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 7 11:12:48 CST 2006

A co-worker has asked for my help and I'm stumped. Perhaps one or more of
you can help me figure out how he can accomplish what he needs. The way his
table is laid out is the main problem, but it serves him in all of the other
ways he reports on the data. He's got the following fields: StmtType,
Category, and 36 fields with numbers (JanYTD, JanLYB, JanCYB for all 12
months). The StmtType field has the primary designation (VUH, PHV, VCH) and
the Category field has the secondary designation (Admissions, Discharges,
Patient Days, Inpatient Revenue, Outpatient Revenue). So for each primary
designation he has each of the secondary designations. So, a table row looks
like VUH/Admissions/JanYTD/JanLYB/JanCYB/... then
VUH/Discharges/JanYTD/JanLYB/JanCYB ... I hope that makes sense since I
don't know how to represent it graphically with plain text.

Now here's what he needs:
(VUH Inpatient Revenue JanYTD + VUH Outpatient Revenue JAN YTD) divided by
VUH Inpatient Revenue Jan YTD = X - (X is his ratio)
X times VUH Patient Days Jan YTD
X times VUH Admissions Jan YTD
X times VUH Discharges Jan YTD

The calculations have to take place for each of the 36 values. I would be
fairly simple for him to accomplish with queries if there were only a couple
of values but with 36 columns for each primary/secondary combination it's
way too cumbersome to accomplish that way. Can anyone help me figure out if
he can get from here to there?

Thanks so much,
Gina