[AccessD] Access XP forms bound to ADO recordsets

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Mar 10 05:45:00 CST 2006

Hi John

Isn't this (request) exactly what Shamil (and Charlotte?) is working on?

  http://www.smsconsulting.spb.ru/shamil_s/articles/ddo.htm

Thread from August 2005:

  Disconnected MS Access cient applications..

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com 09-03-2006 19:54 >>>
Can someone give me an overview of what this involves?  Is the recordset
then "disconnected"?  How do you handle form/subforms?

I have a specific application where the users have a bound form which pulls
a set of records (people) that they will be making calls to.  There is a
bound subform where they enter the results of the call - about 5 or 6
fields, the user's ID, date/time, call status, note etc.  They get a TON of
locking issues with this. The user is almost exclusively ADDING new records
into the call status table, though they do occasionally "correct" info in
the person's record - address / phone etc.

The issue though is that as soon as they try to create a NEW record in the
call status subform, they get the infamous "another person has locked this
record" which is particularly puzzling since they are not editing an
existing record but rather adding a new record.  I changed the note from
Memo to String(255) to avoid "page locking" issues, deleted all of the
indexes on the fields in the call status records etc but the issues still
occur.

My understanding is that Index data is also stored in pages so that there
might be an issue with the page that an index is attempting to store it's
data in as the record is created is locked by another user creating an index
using that same page.  Of course there is a relationship between the person
and the call status so there is at least one index that simply cannot be
even seen, never mind deleted, at least without removing the relationship.

So I am trying to resolve this continuous nagging locking issue.  I am even
willing to go unbound, but they really want to be able to see the previous
calls in the subform so that they can tell what went on in previous calls.
I thought that if I could bind the main people form and the child call
status forms to ADO recordsets, then the update (and subsequent locking
issues) would be very momentary and the probability of a lock issue
occurring would decrease dramatically.  However I have never done the "ADO
recordset binding" before.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this?