[AccessD] Discovering Access version at runtime - was AccessXPforms bound to ADO recordsets

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 13 13:35:41 CST 2006

How about doing it this way. Run a vbs script from a desktop shortcut.
Or double click vbs file from windows explorer or even shell to it.
Assuming that vb scripting allowed.
You can also open various versions of Access in code below via
Set AcApp = CreateObject("Access.Application.8") 'Access 97
Set AcApp = CreateObject("Access.Application.11") 'Access  2003

You can create a VB script file with this code and start your app using
this. (Code is from an MS article)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=235422

'File      myVersion.vbs

Const cDatabaseToOpen = "C:\<FileToOpen>.mdb"

On Error Resume Next
Dim AcApp
'if multiple Access  versions on machine  this will open last version opened
Set AcApp = CreateObject("Access.Application")
If AcApp.Version >= 10 Then
     AcApp.AutomationSecurity = 1 ' msoAutomationSecurityLow
End If
AcApp.Visible = True
'open your access application
AcApp.OpenCurrentDatabase cDatabaseToOpen
If AcApp.CurrentProject.FullName <> "" Then
     AcApp.UserControl = True
Else
     AcApp.Quit
     MsgBox "Failed to open '" & cDatabaseToOpen  & "'."
End If