[AccessD] Access XP forms bound to ADO recordsets

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Tue Mar 14 04:26:50 CST 2006

Hi All,

Just wanted to note that if technique presented here
http://smsconsulting.spb.ru/download/tests/a2dds.htm will not work stable
there will be another 100% safe workaround to try - a combination of what
Steve Conklin mentioned and what presented in the crash test - I mean
(dynamically created) local tables in temp databases, which get filled from
ADODB disconnected recorset(s) and which MS Access forms are (dynamically)
bound too. And here there could be two ways to mirror additions, editions
and deletions made via forms on local tables to corresponding ADODB
disconnected recordsets to reconnect and to batch update backend DB(s):

1. use special IsNew, IsEdited, IsDeleted flags in local tables and to
analyze these flags to mirror changes to ADODB disconnected recordset when
Apply/Save button is clicked;
2. use instant mirroring when MS Access form's data change related events
fire as it's done in the sample (although it's not finished yet)

The latter may need less coding than the former, but the former looks
straightforward and promise to be more simple to test - what I personally do
not like with the first method is that is has to use IsDeleted flag and all
the queries have to be "aware" of that. The latter also promise to work (a
bit) quicker.

Steve, do you use something like technique N1 outlined above?

FYI: the technique from crash test will not work stable with MS Access 2000
for sure - the Recordset property is missing in  MS Access 2000 for combo-
and list-boxes, but I don't have the latest service pack/release for MS
Access 2000 - maybe it fixes this problem....

Shamil