[AccessD] Splitting up names

John Clark John.Clark at niagaracounty.com
Thu May 18 09:59:23 CDT 2006

Sorry that it has taken so long to get back to y'all...been extremely
busy, and every time I sit down to do something, something else comes
up.

As usual I've gotten some good ideas from you all. As I suspected,
there doesn't seem to be a clear-cut solution. I picked up a little from
many of these posts, and I have actually begun some code that is
progressing nicely toward a solution.

I haven't tried this code here yet...I'll try to get to it in a little
bit...but I'm sure it too will help me out.

This project isn't exactly high priority...it is basically helping a
former co-worker that has moved on...so it has been difficult to put
much time into it, with everything else going on.

Thanks again though!

John W. Clark

>>> adtp at hotmail.com 5/12/2006 1:01 am >>>
John,

    Functions  Fn_FirstName() & Fn_LastName() as given below, should
get you the desired results as per pattern indicated by you..

    Just make sure that the string variable named SuffixList in
Fn_FirstName() includes all the likely suffixes.

    Could you please try it out and let me know whether any further
fine tuning is needed.

Best wishes,
A.D.Tejpal
----------------

Function Fn_FirstName(ByVal FullName As _
                                                    String) As String
    ' Returns First Name
    Dim Txt As String, Cnt As Long
    Dim SuffixList As String, Rtv As Variant

    SuffixList = "Sr-Jr-Dr-Esq-Rev-Hon-Sir-Lord"

    Txt = FullName

    Rtv = Split(SuffixList, "-")
    For Cnt = 0 To UBound(Rtv)
        Txt = Trim(Replace(Txt, " " & Rtv(Cnt), ""))
    Next

    Fn_FirstName = Trim(Left(Txt, InStrRev(Txt, " ") - 1))

End Function

Function Fn_LastName(ByVal FullName As _
                                                    String) As String
    ' Returns Last Name
    Dim Txt As String

    Txt = Fn_FirstName(FullName)

    Fn_LastName = Trim(Mid(FullName, Len(Txt) + 1))

End Function