[AccessD] Upgrading from Access 2000 to 2003

Kath Pelletti kp at sdsonline.net
Mon Nov 27 19:36:27 CST 2006

I've been keeping track of issues I have faced when I had to upgrade a client's system from Access 2000 to 2003 this month.

I thought it might be worthwhile posting my brief list in case anyone else needs to do the same - and maybe those of you who have worked in 2003 more than I have can add to it.....

- Start with new 2003 database, and change default file format to 2002-2003 before importing all objects, file import specs, relationships.
- Recreate Startup options and update all references
- Check all report settings for reports which do not use the default printer. (I found that those that use a specific printer, eg. pdf995 had reverted to default printer on import).
- Check that toolbars are displayed. Even though they are imported, I found that I had to turn then on manually (change properties to allow them to be turned on / turn them on / change properties back again)
- All references to the commondialog control need to be re-written (browse / save dialogues)
- Change the [Tools] [Macro] [Security] level to Low to prevent users getting the msg "Do you want to block unsafe expressions?"
- There is a new level of error checking in 2003. Any controls that do not have tne control source in a form's source will create new error messages (shouldn't have any of those but it found a couple!) . Error checking levels can be adjusted thru the menu. (tools, options, error checking).