[AccessD] Installing SBS2003 - was [dba-SQLServer] What is going on

William Hindman wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com
Thu Nov 2 10:36:51 CST 2006

...lol ...listen up JC ...SBS2003 is NOT xp ...you must plan your install
and know ahead of time what services you need and how you want to provide
them ...that said, it is a whole lot simpler than installing the individual
applications and getting them to work together ...and a whole lot cheaper
for your client.

...of course, your first step should have been to RTFM :)

...if you have the server resources, just choose every install option ...I'm
assuming you have two NICs :)

...but if this is something YOU are planning to use in your office for
anything more than learning purposes, its probably enormous overkill.

...if you have two or more people sending faxes using the same modems, fax
services will make it easier.

...if you have a group of people who can use shared calendaring, scheduling,
contacts, and e-mail, Exchange will make it happen ...but in my office, I
use OE because Exchange requires Outlook and it is such a resource hog
...but hey, if you have the resources, its the best groupware going despite
Gustav's enamoration with Novell :)

...I belong to a listserve, sbs2k on yahoo groups that is very active and
quite similar to AccessD ...and very tolerant of newbies ...a number of mvps
hang out there ...despite its name, sbs2k3 is the topic of choice.

...I love SBS and in small offices of 5-25 people it just can't be beat
...stable as a rock once installed and a real pleasure to support because it
really doesn't require much :)

...but if you really don't need it, don't install it ...gustav is right
about their being simpler alternatives for SOHOs that don't need the array
that SBS provides ...and no matter what you want, if its an MS server, you
will learn Active Directory ...actually much simpler than it looks at first
glance ...most of it happens behind the scenes.

William Hindman