[AccessD] Strategies for populating combo boxes

McGillivray, Don [IT] Donald.A.McGillivray at sprint.com
Thu Nov 2 16:15:55 CST 2006

Thanks, Marty.

I can see how this would reduce db size and speed the saving of the form, but will it speed its loading and response for the user?  Seems like whether I'm saving the queries with the form or not, they will still have to load from the million record table to populate the combos, no?  In my trials so far, it seems like only the initial use of a combo suffers from the delay (subsequent uses are lickety-split).  It just feels like a nuisance to make the user wait for controls on the form if I can speed loading the rowsource by driving it with a more concise table created once at start up.  They will still have to wait for that table to populate, but not so much for each control on the form.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how this works, and how the suggested approach addresses the issue?

FWIW, the data in this db will be refreshed only about once a quarter, and I suppose I could add a process that they run once upon each refresh that produces the more concise tables for the combo row sources.  That would eliminate/reduce even the startup delays.

Don