[AccessD] Still on the Reporting

Hale, Jim Jim.Hale at FleetPride.com
Thu Nov 30 11:00:35 CST 2006

BTW allocations are another great use of non cartesian joins. First create a
groupby query which generates a total (one field one record). Create a query
with the detail records which add to the total. Place the two queries in the
design grid without any join. The result set will have the total as a field
in every record so it is a simple matter to divide the detail by the total
to generate a percentage.

As I think about it another reason I dump the data to Excel is because
allocations inevitably don't balance (usually by pennies) due to rounding.
It is a simple matter in Excel to create a formula to handle the rounding.

Jim Hale

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Williamson [mailto:Kwilliamson at rtkl.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:08 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: [AccessD] Still on the Reporting

Man...I forgot what a pain in the A@& getting reports out of Access is.

I asked earlier how to export a report into csv format....doesn't seem
that is likely.  I need to ultimately generate a csv format file, to
import into our sql-based application.  This is for journal entries.  I
have written a couple of reports to generate journal
entries....utilizing the different levels of grouping and summing.  A
good bit of the report is taking data, at different groupings, and
calculating percentages to apply to user-entered data (for allocating
overhead to different entities and account numbers.)  Since csv is out,
I am resigned to bring the data into excel...and then export to csv
format.

The problem is that, oddly, when I am looking at the data on the report
(on screen) and then hit the "Analyze It with Excel" button....the
columns come over in different order than the report.  Plus, one of the
fields is a text field = "00".  It keeps coming into Excel as = 0
(general format.)  I can't think of a way to store the values, and
export values and formulas to Excel...as Rocky suggested.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Keith E. Williamson | Assist. Controller| kwilliamson at rtkl.com

The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or
other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and
delete the material from any computer. As a recipient of this email,
you are responsible for screening its contents and the contents of any
attachments for the presence of viruses. No liability is accepted for
any damages caused by any virus transmitted by this email.