[AccessD] Access frontend/SQL Server backend

Hale, Jim Jim.Hale at FleetPride.com
Tue Oct 3 13:32:24 CDT 2006

You might want to take a quick look at pass through queries which have the
advantage of processing the data on the server before sending the data set.
I use them a lot for crunching large datasets
Jim Hale

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesiny, Ed [mailto:EdTesiny at oasas.state.ny.us]
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 11:03 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving;
dba-ot at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: [AccessD] Access frontend/SQL Server backend

Dear List,
This is an elementary question as I know almost nothing about SQL
Server.  A colleague is developing a web-based ColdFusion application
using SQL Server.  I would like to access the data through an ODBC
connection using Access as the frontend.  I was able to get at the
tables but the relationships between the tables were lost.  Is there a
way you can preserve the relationships or should I be trying to access
the data by another means?
MTIA
Ed

Edward P. Tesiny
Assistant Director for Evaluation
Bureau of Evaluation and Practice Improvement
New York State OASAS
1450 Western Ave.
Albany, New York  12203-3526
Phone:  (518) 485-7189