[AccessD] IE 7 changes Wininet.dll may affect FTP code

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 27 20:45:05 CDT 2006

Microsoft is going to start force downloading IE 7.0
through Windows update. This may affect FTP code
or Internet TransferLib.I know people are using here.
MS may come out with a shim to use old version of
 WinInet.dll or at least it's behaviour.

Yup wininet.dll has changed their error handling in IE7. It only checks for
null pointers now. This has been a long ongoing argument at MS.

If you are an application developer using WinInet and you start getting
crashes in these functions, take a look at the pointer values getting
passed to these functions. You are going to have to check the parameters
being passed in the mda from Dev's code

See
Changes in WinInet API validation code could lead to Unexpected Behavior
http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2005/08/18/453124.aspx

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.