[AccessD] Updating a bound image using VBA

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 6 19:13:45 CDT 2006

Assuming you have an embedded OLEfield that contains your photo,
in other words you have say a jpg within an OLE wrapper or header that
says what OLE server draws the image it could be Kodak Wang or
Paintbrush or .....
Otherwise you will have to use unembedded methods to handle just the blob
The blob could be an xml string, word .doc file or say a .gif as a
binary string.
So use this method.
http://www.lebans.com/loadsavejpeg.htm

If it is embedded; to copy ole field to another table use appendchunk

AppendChunk and GetChunk Methods Example
from Access 97 help

This example uses the AppendChunk and GetChunk methods to fill an OLE
object field with data from another record, 32K at a time. In a real
application, one might use a procedure like this to copy an employee
record (including the employee's photo) from one table to another. In
this example, the record is simply being copied back to same table. Note
that all the chunk manipulation takes place within a single
AddNew-Update sequence.

Sub AppendChunkX()

    Dim dbsNorthwind As Database
    Dim rstEmployees As Recordset
    Dim rstEmployees2 As Recordset

    Set dbsNorthwind = OpenDatabase("Northwind.mdb")

    ' Open two recordsets from the Employees table.
    Set rstEmployees = _
        dbsNorthwind.OpenRecordset("Employees", _
        dbOpenDynaset)
    Set rstEmployees2 = rstEmployees.Clone

    ' Add a new record to the first Recordset and copy the
    ' data from a record in the second Recordset.
    With rstEmployees

        .AddNew
        !FirstName = rstEmployees2!FirstName
        !LastName = rstEmployees2!LastName
        CopyLargeField rstEmployees2!Photo, !Photo
        .Update

        ' Delete new record because this is a demonstration.
        .Bookmark = .LastModified
        .Close
    End With

    rstEmployees2.Close
    dbsNorthwind.Close

End Sub

Function CopyLargeField(fldSource As Field, _
    fldDestination As Field)

    ' Set size of chunk in bytes.
    Const conChunkSize = 32768

    Dim lngOffset As Long
    Dim lngTotalSize As Long
    Dim strChunk As String

    ' Copy the photo from one Recordset to the other in 32K
    ' chunks until the entire field is copied.
    lngTotalSize = fldSource.FieldSize
    Do While lngOffset < lngTotalSize
        strChunk = fldSource.GetChunk(lngOffset, conChunkSize)
        fldDestination.AppendChunk strChunk
        lngOffset = lngOffset + conChunkSize
    Loop

End Function