[AccessD] Moving out of MS Access?

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Thu Sep 28 11:08:13 CDT 2006

Well the big problem with Sharepoint you only go through Windows
authentication
so someone accesses the app with a userid and password from anywhere. If
someone
just steals the password, your app is compromised. Easily done in a
hospital setting
So you set up a second tier authentication that identifies the terminal
or actual  user
This can be done by RSA certificates in IE, USB  dongles or biometric
thumbprints
what you use is determined by ease of use for the user.

You are probably looking at prices around $10,000 to setup this tier
but this can balanced off by whatever fines you might have to pay
for data compromise, determined by your countries Data Protection Act.

I seem to remember some continental European Banks adding this tier
recently for clients using internet banking via a USB dongle

Talked to my brother last night and he will send you some papers on this
from
Documentum (now EMC) and FileNet that cover this for Sharepoint 2003
These are the big two document management systems in use in US outside of
IBM's systems but both have some hooks to Sharepoint.

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.