[AccessD] Column Positions

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Apr 1 06:49:01 CDT 2007

Hi Shamil

Thanks, that explains. I will note this, should I ever have to do some serious programming in VBA outside Access.

/gustav

>>> shamil at users.mns.ru 01-04-2007 12:52 >>>
Hi Gustav,

With Access.Application parameter passed as optional you "reserve"
opportunity to easily use the same code in Access Automation scenarios. I
also often (in my "previous life" when I programmed a lot on VBA) did use:

Optional ByRef rdbs as DAO.Database = Nothing

That "saved my life" many times when the database to work with wasn't
CurrentDB. For this subject case it's not needed because this code always
operates with CurrenDb...

The usage of:

    With app

Is used to not have costly Automation "round-trip" of getting reference of
MS Access instance. It's not needed when Access Automation is not used.

Using explicit:

app.DoCmd...
..
App.CurrentDb ..

Is good programming style IMO - when used that way then you get automatic
habit to use it simira way when programming MS Word/MS Exce/... Automation -
then copy & paste code between different VBA hosts will never result in
(unexpectedly) activating/running "ghost" background instances of MS
Access/Word/Excel/..., which are often not easy to "catch" where they come
from, to "kill" them etc...

--
Shamil