[AccessD] New database design for MS SQL

Charlotte Foust cfoust at infostatsystems.com
Thu Apr 5 16:45:30 CDT 2007

No white papers.  We started rolling our own and called in a consulting
firm to review the fledgling solution and point out deficiencies.  They
did admit when they came back for a later review that they'd never seen
a Win-based .Net app this large and complex, but we aren't ready (maybe
I should say our clients aren't ready) to convert totally to web-based
yet.

We're using either SQL 2005 or Access 2000 format BE because some of our
clients are on drilling rigs in the middle of the ocean and don't have
SQL Server handy.  The embedded SQL for the provider adapters is stored
in XML files and we read it in using a streamreader and pass it back to
the calling data provider routine.  The only business logic on the
server is in cascading updates and deletes, etc., nothing else except
relationships at this point because we still have to handle both SQL
Server and Access back ends.  The business logic is in its own assembly
that's part of the overall solution.  Not sure what you mean by a
desktop design.

We create and supply software to the drilling industry--oil, gas,
geothermal--so a well is a hole in the ground plus everything associated
with that.  A wellbore, is the hole itself, which may be the original
hole in the ground or a sidetrack drilled as an offshoot of another
wellbore.

Charlotte Foust