[AccessD] WANs and Access

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 09:46:38 CDT 2007

I have considerable experience doing this. In one case I had 4 offices
hooked together in a WAN, all running the same Access app. That's when I
became an expert at Access replication. I put a copy of the BE on a server
in each office, that the local users talked to. In the HQ office, a box was
running Synchronizer and updated the branch BEs every 5 minutes, as I
recall. Thus the longest it could take for any remote user to see changes
made by a local user was 10 minutes. But even in the case of collisions,
Replication Manager handled them flawlessly.

This delivered much better performance than the straight WAN approach, which
I tried first and was very unsatisfied with the performance. Using
replication over the WAN resulted in much greater performance.

Arthur