[AccessD] Case management and external files

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Apr 10 06:31:10 CDT 2007

Jim,

They should be thinking of a document scanner / archive.  DIS, my insurance
client, scans all of their paperwork and has a completely paperless system.
The scanned paperwork is assigned a claim number to link it back to the
claim.  They take paperwork as it comes in the door and scans it (manually,
but it does have a document feeder).

It is not totally integrated, unfortunately the archive system cannot be
easily manipulated by my call center software but it still works a treat.
This system has a "remote access" kind of thing where users remote in from
their desk (the system is inside of their building) to access / view
documents.

Not cheap at somewhere south of 20K but given the cost of my time to build
the call center software, cost of storage for the paper etc. DIS still
thinks it is reasonable.  Plus, they can generate PDF files of all the docs
in a case and mail it (DVDs) to interested parties.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting