[AccessD] Open report from remote db

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Apr 12 22:29:49 CDT 2007

Lonnie,

There are a couple of options - automation and referencing.

Automation means the same thing that it does in Excel or Word, creating an
instance of the remote database and manipulating it to cause it to open the
report.  That is rather ugly because it is difficult to keep the manipulated
database from displaying itself in the process of manipulating it, i.e. it
wants to "open".  If the remote database has an autoexec or an autoform then
that will try to execute / open.  I am no expert in automation of Access
databases so there may in fact be methods to get around these issues.

Referencing means creating a reference to the database so that you can run
code inside of the database.  Having done that, you can then create public
functions that take a report name as a parameter and then opens that report.
Since the data for the report is inside of the database (or linked to it
anyway) this works nicely.  Unfortunately references can get messy depending
on the circumstance.

As you can see, there are ways to do this and which you choose will depend
on your circumstances.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting