[AccessD] XML changes coming, XML 4.0 to be kill bitted in Oct 2007 but just in IE

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 16 20:49:15 CDT 2007

There are many XML DOM parsers aside from Microsoft's not to mention SAX
parsers.
However AJAX with MS IE, uses an XMLHTTP Active X to grab files.
XML is based on a series of WSC standards that are being released on a
yearly basis.
like XSLT 2.0 or XPATH 2.0.  SQL 2005 SP2 installs XML 6.0
also Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0, Microsoft Visual Studio 2005,
and Windows SharePoint Services 3.0.

To get around crossbrowser problems using say Mozilla, you can use
JavaScript
methods that have been around prior to AJAX. One I use is Sarissa.
A lot of these libraries are available for AJAX.
A cross-browser ECMAScript lib that helps with browser incompatibilities
in XMLHttpRequest/XML/XSLT/XPath along with some with some
useful utility methods. Just extract sarrissa.js

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sarissa/

How  to use
 http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/javascript/ajax.html#crossbrowser

A really simple cross browser java script

/* creates an XMLHttpRequest instance */
function createXmlHttpRequestObject()
{
// will store the reference to the XMLHttpRequest object
var xmlHttp;
// this should work for all browsers except IE6 and older
try
{
// try to create XMLHttpRequest object
xmlHttp = new XMLHttpRequest();
}
catch(e)
{
// assume IE6 or older
var XmlHttpVersions = new Array("MSXML2.XMLHTTP.6.0",
"MSXML2.XMLHTTP.5.0",
"MSXML2.XMLHTTP.4.0",
"MSXML2.XMLHTTP.3.0",
"MSXML2.XMLHTTP",
"Microsoft.XMLHTTP");
// try every prog id until one works
for (var i=0; i<XmlHttpVersions.length && !xmlHttp; i++)
{
try
{
// try to create XMLHttpRequest object
xmlHttp = new ActiveXObject(XmlHttpVersions[i]);
}
catch (e) {}
}
}
// return the created object or display an error message
if (!xmlHttp)
alert("Error creating the XMLHttpRequest object.");
www.PacktPub.com
13
else
return xmlHttp;