[AccessD] My nemesis - ODBC Connections

John Skolits askolits at ot.com
Wed Apr 18 17:11:04 CDT 2007

I've been having ODBC issues with SqlServer for, what seems to be, forever.
On different servers, different PCs, different OS. This week has been
particularly bad. It could have something to do with some updates my
customer is putting on his server, but even so, it's an issue that had
bugged me for years. Maybe someone can shed some light on this.

Access 2K and SQLServer 2000:

What seems to happen is when I develop an app on my PC and relink to
SQLServer using Accces, my app works fine. When I give it to others,
sometimes the app works and sometime it gives me an ODBC error. Usually
after the error, it comes up with the SQL Server login box and the after
entering login info. It's fine. If they restart, same issue. But it's very
inconsistent. I can then go back and relink again on my PC and give it to
them again. Sometimes that actually fixes it, yet I didn't do anything
different than I did before.

I initially link using a DSN Filename, but after linking my guess is the DSN
file is no longer used since I can usually install the app on a new PC
without putting the DSN on their PC. When I look at the linked table's
properties it shows the connection string without the DSN name. Which makes
sense since it's not using the DSN for a connection, but the imbedded string
instead.

Does all this make sense. Can someone explain what's going on? Why I'm
having all these problems? Is there a fix?? Help!!!!

John Skolits