[AccessD] Cool stuff - was RE: using a dtsx in .Net

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun Apr 22 06:25:21 CDT 2007

On 22 Apr 2007 at 12:01, Gustav Brock wrote:

> Hi John
>
> It's worse. It has only limited functionality.
> Quoting myself from 2002-02-19 where Jürgen had brought up how to use
> FindFirstChangeNotification:
>
> <quote>
> The problem I have with this is that it does not seem to be very
> accurate. If a bunch of small files are copied then the event fires only a
> couple of times;

That will happen especially if you are monitoring  the
FILE_NOTIFY_CHANGE_SIZE or the FILE_NOTIFY_CHANGE_LAST_WRITE  events.
(Probably  the more common ones in practice)
<quote>
 The operating system detects a change in file size only when the file is
written to the disk. For operating systems that use extensive caching,
detection occurs only when the cache is sufficiently flushed.
</quote>
<quote>
The operating system detects a change to the last write-time only when the
file is written to the disk
</quote>

--
Stuart