[AccessD] Cool stuff - was RE: using a dtsx in .Net

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Apr 22 06:56:16 CDT 2007

Hi Stuart

Yes, that was the case.
By second thought, it wouldn't take that much to load the list of files of the directory under observation into an array or collection at launch, then when "something happens" reread that list and pull out the new entries.

/gustav

On 22 Apr 2007 at 12:01, Gustav Brock wrote:

> Hi John
>
> It's worse. It has only limited functionality.
> Quoting myself from 2002-02-19 where Jürgen had brought up how to use
> FindFirstChangeNotification:
>
> <quote>
> The problem I have with this is that it does not seem to be very
> accurate. If a bunch of small files are copied then the event fires only a
> couple of times;

That will happen especially if you are monitoring  the
FILE_NOTIFY_CHANGE_SIZE or the FILE_NOTIFY_CHANGE_LAST_WRITE  events.
(Probably  the more common ones in practice)
<quote>
 The operating system detects a change in file size only when the file is
written to the disk. For operating systems that use extensive caching,
detection occurs only when the cache is sufficiently flushed.
</quote>
<quote>
The operating system detects a change to the last write-time only when the
file is written to the disk
</quote>

--
Stuart