[AccessD] OT a little - Code Tables

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Tue Apr 24 11:41:43 CDT 2007

I think it was bad design due to the limitations of some of the DB products
of the time.

Also, another reason it was done was for the end user's sake. Basically
there would be one table with lookups and values and the user could add or
edit new lookups types and values which would be loaded to a UI form via a
DB View.  Although it could have been done using other methods, it was one
method of accomplishing something that needed to be done. I didn't like it
back then and I dislike it even more now. I migrated data from the DB
(Informix) that held this methodology into a normalized SQL Server DB - I
had to set up many filters to get the lookup tables migrated! And that
wasn't the only non-standard methodology used in the Informix DB :o(