[AccessD] using a saved SSIS with VB.Net

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Apr 24 17:26:52 CDT 2007

Hi John

Your observations about the flow are probably true.

If we for a moment return to your reading and converting of these huge files in Access, instead of rewriting these to csv files for later import into SQL Server, why not collect the finished records to batches of:

  Insert Into <table> Values ( <value1>, <value2>, .. <valueN> )

with, say, 100 or 1000 lines and feed these directly to SQL Server?
This can be easily done with ADO and a Connection object and a Command object where you use the Connection.Execute method to load the batch of records directly into SQL Server. For you it should be a simple matter to modify your Access app, which you already have build, to perform the task.

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 24-04-07 18:07 >>>
The CSV file is on the same machine.  It appears that the clause that pulls
the source table (csv file) into memory is taking a ton of time.  These are
large files, the smallest are a little under 200 million bytes and the
largest are up in the 3 gigabyte range.  It appears that SQL Server does not
read a few records and append them, but rather reads the whole CSV and then
starts appending all of the assembled records.

If I were a SQL Server pro I could probably speed this up considerably.
Alas, I am not.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting