[AccessD] Dot Net, where to start?

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Fri Apr 27 09:53:15 CDT 2007

<<<
As for reporting, that is a show stopper, especially when you come from
Access which is one of the better report generators out there.

John,

VS2005 Professional has Crystal Reports - when one gets on speed with CR
they can make very advanced reports with it - the reports, which can't be
done with MS Access.

IOW every report, which can be done in MS Access can be done in CR. But the
opposite is not true. CR is (much) more powerful than MS Access Report
Generator...

Well, embedded in VS2005 CR IDE is limited comparing to professional version
of CR, still it (VS2005 CR) is good enough to design reports but after MS
Access report designer one usually feels that limited CR IDE as RPITA (There
is no any functionality of CR engine limited - just IDE).

And reports created with CR within VS2005 professional can be distributed
with royalty free CR engine, which can be downloaded from Internet...

What is also good with CR is that reports created for desktop applications
can be relatively easy moved to use from Web Server (CR Server (not free) is
needed for that) - there will be no need to do any redesign of these reports
and CR Server is "smart" enough and handles large reports in small chunks,
which can be quickly downloaded on client computer...

--
Shamil