[AccessD] Names in tables - best practices

Rocky Smolin at Beach Access Software rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Sat Aug 18 06:38:10 CDT 2007

Dear List:

I have a legacy app in which the client is considering making a big change.
There are currently threes table which have names in them - employees of the
user (a law firm), employees of the user's clients (many to many person to
client), and foreign agents.  There may be more in the future - vendors, for
example.

What we are considering is consolidating the three tables into a general
'Persons' table and adding a field for 'role' - containing a FK to a Role
table so we can add more roles as time goes on.

Is this a good idea?  The roles don't really overlap.  And there are fields
which are unique to each of the three tables. Right now I don't think there
are any duplicated names among the three tables. So one role per name should
suffice.

Any opinion welcome.

MTIA

Rocky