[AccessD] Listbox-type browse control for large dataset

A.D.TEJPAL adtp at airtelbroadband.in
Thu Aug 2 09:02:58 CDT 2007

Chris,

    My sample db named Form_SubformAsListBox might be of interest to you. It is available at Rogers Access Library (other developers library). Link - http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/OtherLibraries.asp#Tejpal,A.D.

    You could adapt the underlying approach suitably, for your specific needs.

Best wishes,
A.D.Tejpal
---------------

Form_SubformAsListBox (Sample db)
Brief Description
====================================
    This sample db demonstrates use of subform as list box.

    Two alternatives are covered:
    (a) Continuous subform type list box.
    (b) Datasheet subform type list box.

    For each alternative, three styles of  list box simulation are demonstrated as follows:
    (a) Multi-Select - Extended
    (b) Multi-Select - Simple
    (c) Single Select

    Selection behavior in each case is similar to that of typical normal style for the pertinent list box. Extraction of information regarding selected items is relatively more convenient as compared to a conventional list box.

    Subform  based list box affords the added facility of convenient formatting & alignment. In datasheet based alternative, the user can even adjust the row height if required, so as to suit multi-line content.

    Note:
    (a) Overall performance regarding prompt rendering of highlight colors (based upon conditional formatting) is found to be best under Access 2003 (even better than Access 2007).
    (b) For multi-select (extended) list box based upon datasheet subform in versions other than A2K3 (i.e. A2K, XP, A2K7), highlight colors representing multi-selection take complete effect only when Shift key is finally released.
    (c) For multi-select (extended) list box based upon continuous subform, the performance in versions other than A2K7 is found to be OK (though it appears to be best in A2K3). In Access 2007 however, there is a slight time lag in rendering the highlights, though it does not wait till the shift key is finally released.

5 - Version: Access 2000 File Format

6 - References: DAO 3.6