[AccessD] SQL Speed

Fred Hooper fahooper at trapo.com
Wed Aug 8 17:57:22 CDT 2007

Hi Mark,

I once wrote an application that updated an Excel file with the results of
running 5K cross tabs. These were constructed in Access and returned ADO
recordsets which I placed in the Excel file. As I recall, it took 20 minutes
running against a 5M row SQL Server table.

An even faster way (that I didn't think of then) would be to make a
pass-through query that uses a (probably one line) file to control its
results. You could then update that file and run a query that appends the
results of the pass-through query to your table. This way you do as much
with SQL as possible.

Overall, it sounds doable and fun.

Fred