[AccessD] OT Friday: Comodo AntiSpam

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Aug 10 23:42:09 CDT 2007

Steve,

>P.S.  I have been around this forum only a relatively short amount of time,
so don't know the full meaning of the term, but was nonetheless amused by
the word "colbyizing". :-)  I assume getting colbyized takes different forms
in different situations?

LOL.  I have been around this board since the early days (1997).  At that
time I lived in Puebla Mexico and the Shining Path guerrilla movement was
being "handled" by the Peru military by picking up thousands of people and
disappearing them, often by (allegedly) flying them far out over the Pacific
ocean and pushing them out the door of the airplane from about 20K feet up,
without a parachute.

At that time I was a little more ... Uhh... Hmm... How to say this...
Militant?  So I would make statements like "if any client of mine is found
working directly in the tables... 20K feet, out the door without a
parachute".  I think it was William Hindman who coined the phrase "colbyize"
to replace "20K feet, out the door without a parachute".

;-)

Lately I have mellowed a bit (no, REALLY!!!).  Now I just poke Charlotte
with a stick every now and again.

I am trying several of the Comodo products.  I LOVE their software
firewall!!!  I run that on all of my systems and for the first time EVER
have managed to have trusted zones where I could actually see and use the
shares on every system, every time.  Their AV is still in beta but I am
trying it out as well.  I just installed their Anti-Spam a few days ago.

Something's gotta give on the spam front.  I have looked and tried this and
that and NOTHING has worked really well to this point.  I am reading that
the newest stuff is even getting around the Bayesian filters.  I can't
verify that since I can't get SpamBayes to run for whatever reason (I used
it for a looong time).

As for the Gmail thing, my biggest issue with that is Gmail itself.  I have
read sources I believe who say that Google archives EVERYTHING, PERMANENTLY
- Google searches, as well as Gmail.  I use Google for searches and simply
avoid them when it is time to search for ways to kill my wife and such.  ;-)
My mail I want to have a delete button on.  I am not doing anything illegal
but I just am uncomfortable with being archived forever by a third party for
their own purposes.

Say what you will, this CR system does work, at least from my perspective.
>From the instant I installed it NO spam has come through.  ATM I am going
through my quarantine database to manually allow those email addresses /
domains I need through.  Again it is quick and easy, one time, click "allow"
and voila it is allowed.  And yea, there are nutcases everywhere.  Some will
hiss and spit and refuse to answer and oh well.  Mostly those kinds of
people just get on my nerves anyway so I am probably better off without
their email.  If I lose some email from the fringes and ALL my spam...
Hmm... Kind of a clear cut win.

Someday, when Internet II comes out and this spam nonsense is behind us,
well, CR won't be necessary any more anyway.  And who knows whether it will
really work long term, but I have to do something, and nothing else I have
done worked all that well, so for today I try this.  And yes, I will take
the time to respond to CR messages (If I want to talk to you ;-).

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting