[AccessD] Access Front-End via Web Enabled

Eric Barro ebarro at verizon.net
Thu Aug 16 10:54:51 CDT 2007

You can pretty much use your WinForms code (classes and modules) in ASP.NET
with some tweaks to allow for web-specific features.

1. Session variables - functions pretty much like global variables.
Web-based apps are stateless so you will need a way to track each user via
their SessionID and other Session variables you define.

2. Passing values from one page to another - Session variables take up
server memory and resources so this is not a recommended way for passing
values. You use the Request object to read the querystring (that long line
of gobblygook you see on the URL) or read the form values that the server
keeps track of.

3. Disconnected recordsets - there's no such thing as bound forms in a
web-based app. You will need to learn the tricks and intricacies of
disconnected recordsets and how to best code CRUD (Create, Retrieve, Update,
Delete) operations.

Those are some of the "little things" you have to adjust to when
transitioning to or considering .NET development.