[AccessD] Interesting Laptop / Vista commentary

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Dec 2 11:13:50 CST 2007

Bobby,

Don't get me wrong, I am not about "the good old days".  I loved Windows XP
because it was based on Windows 2K which was Microsoft's "server grade"
system.  Remember that Windows 98 was a HUGE step up from Windows 95 in
terms of stability.  When XP came out people were running Windows 98 on the
desktop, and likewise Windows XP was a HUGE step up from Windows 98 on a lot
of fronts, stability first off, but also security.  We finally got away from
the DOS underpinnings.

I am not reading anything that indicates that Vista is a step up at all, at
least until you do get to the Business edition.  All the good stuff is left
out of the version that is sold for the home desktop.  And it runs like a
pig.

I am not one of those "let's all run to Linux" people.  I was reading just
yesterday the experience of a real "techie" tech editor trying to install
three of the most popular Linuxes on a laptop and what a joke that was.  The
built-in pad pointer wasn't supported, the wireless wasn't supported, he was
going all over hell trying to find drivers.  Windows XP will "just install".
Vista MAY "just install".

Here is something I found when googling "advantages of Vista over Windows
XP".

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3529

A very interesting read.  Admittedly it was written in February but it was
"top of the Google list" for that particular search.  Having read this I
certainly wouldn't rush to buy Vista.

And finally I admit, I don't own Vista (or it's not installed anyway).  But
I have to say these things.

1) In XP I explicitly TURN OFF the eye candy in order to make the interface
as snappy as possible.  Eye candy is for people who don't use their
computers; I have work for my processor cycles to do.  It makes no damned
difference to me if a control is square and solid or round and looks like
glass.  It makes no difference to me if they use a color pallet of 64K or 64
bajillion colors.  Beyond a certain point it simply doesn't matter any more.
Shadows and light sources?  C'mon!  In a game yea, but on the desktop?
2) XP is stable.  I use Pro and will until it is replaced with something
legitimately better.
3) DRM sucks (Even in XP I have run smack dab into that wall already with
purchased music downloads) and I don't want it embedded in my computer.
4) The built in Windows firewall and other "security" crap that comes with
XP is junk, promptly replaced with real protection.  Given the "junk" status
of the XP variety I see no reason to expect better from the Vista variety.
5) I LOVE new stuff, but it needs to be BETTER stuff.  I buy processor
upgrades, video upgrades, program upgrades and even OS upgrades WHEN THEY
MAKE SENSE.  Vista just makes no sense to me.  Believe me I had high hopes
(I LIKE new BETTER stuff), but in the end it just makes no sense to me.

I am quite certain that in a few years I will be forced, kicking and
screaming, to upgrade to Vista.  MS will somehow manage to make XP
non-maintainable any more and I will go.  My fervent hope is that Vista
actually works when I am dragged there and that I will be able to not
install or get rid of the eye candy and DRM crap, and that I will get at
least a tiny value for the pound of flesh Microsoft extorts from me.  In the
meantime... Give me XP or give me death!

;-)

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting