[AccessD] ADO Connection with password

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Mon Dec 3 12:13:38 CST 2007

The .ldb is just a text file, every 64 bits shows the Access user name
and the computer name.  Shouldn't have to log into the database at
all...

Now, one quirk with that, is that the 64 bit sections stay whether the
user is logged in or not, to verify that the user is still logged in,
you have to compare those sections to bits of the .mdb itself (with file
commands, not ADO or DAO commands).

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Andy Lacey
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 9:53 AM
To: Dba
Subject: [AccessD] ADO Connection with password

Hi all

Does anyone else use the code, originally from JC IIRC, which shows who
is
in an MDB by looking at the LDB? Well I've been successfully using this
for
years but I now need it to work for a password-protected MDB. So I took
the
lines

Dim cn As New ADODB.Connection
Dim cn2 As New ADODB.Connection

cn.Provider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"
cn.Open "Data Source=" & strDb

and changed them to:

cn.Provider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"
cn.Open "Data Source=" & strDb & "; Password=fred;"

but to no avail. I consistently get the message

"Cannot start your application. The workgroup information file is
missing or
opened exclusively by another user."

This is A97, and I do not use Access security. If I set the code back as
it
was I'm told, rightly, that I need a password but I don't seem to be
able to
provide one. I guess the "workgroup information file" the message is
referring to is System.MDW but why does it have a problem with it? I've
tried copying the MDW from the System32 folder to where the MDB is. I've
tried copying the MDW from the folder where my live system lives to
where
this MDB is. Neither helps. I'd appreciate any guidance on what's going
on
here and what I'm doing wrong.

By the way 99.99% of my time I use DAO. This is ADO because, well
because
that's the way this very clever code works. So my knowledge of ADO is
very
.imited and I may therefore have made a very silly fundamental error. If
so
do feel free to tell me.

--
Andy Lacey